Saturday, September 10, 2011

Repurpose

re·pur·pose /riˈpɚpəs/ verb
re·pur·pos·es; re·pur·posed; re·pur·pos·ing
[+ obj] : to change (something) so that it can be used for a different purpose  http://www.learnersdictionary.com
The sun was shining and the outdoor thermostat reading was below 90.  Considering the last few weeks in Oklahoma, below 100 degrees is good, 80’s is something to celebrate.  So off I went, two blocks from my house was a huge garage sale.  Of course, it was perfect weather to mosey around someone’s yard and dig through their stuff.
I found an ice bucket, like the ones in a room at a hotel, but this one’s cover is coming off the lid.  (Actually, I think this bucket is for wine.  But at my house if a 2 liter of coke doesn’t fit, it’s for ice. )  Then I found a faded lamp shade and some small plastic trays for drawers.  I dug in my pocket and I had a one dollar bill which is quickly accepted by the home owner.
Excited about my finds I return home, grab my scrap fabric and begin the process of repurposing the new (to me) ice bucket.  The old outer fabric is dingy or faded; I’m not sure which one, it could be both.  The bamboo handle along with the little bamboo knob on the lid is still in good condition, I can keep them.  But everything else will have to be carefully stripped away and then beautiful new fabric will be applied. 
While my mind was whirling with ideas of what to do with this bucket and how to do it, I thought of how God has done the same thing with me.  He repurposed me!
 When I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, he carefully started cutting away at my old dingy habits, words and thoughts.  He then started the process of replacing them with new beautiful habits, words and thoughts.  He has repurposed me to His purpose…. from what the world, Satan, others, and even I had purposed me to be.  
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!      2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment